Brad's Suits

Brad's suits. I'm talking about his church suits, not his swim suits, just in case you're confused. I usually don't spend a lot of time thinking about, much less blogging about, Brad's suits. But today when I was sitting next to him in church I noticed how dirty his jacket was. It has slobber, cookies, boogers, and who knows what else smeared on it. You probably can walk through Priesthood meeting and name with great precision the men who have toddlers and babies. Because suits don't lie.

I mentioned to him that I would get his suit to the cleaners this week. I can barely manage to get it cleaned twice maybe three times a year. And always it's the week before conference because then I have two weeks to get it picked up. So we kind of laughed about this fact and how it wouldn't stay clean for long. And for some reason, I got a little emotional about his dirty suit. I know you're thinking that's a little silly. 

I started to think that I kind of like seeing smeared gook on his jacket. That's right, I like it. Because that says to me, he's been holding our sweet babies. And someday, we won't have any more sweet babies sitting on our laps. And then I started to think about his suit some more. This is the suit that he wore when he blessed each one of our sweet babies. This is the suit he wore when he took our kids to nursery. This is the suit he wore when he taught primary and did singing time in the nursery. This is the suit he wore when he helped Brooks with the scripture in primary. This is the suit that he wears when he sits next to me in the back pew and puts his arm around me. This is the suit that he wears to his Priesthood meetings. This is the suit he wears when he takes me to the temple.

So is it the suit that makes the man? No, it's my man that makes the suit. This man, that I adore (most days) wears a suit that is smeared with baby gook. This man leads our family with faith, kindness, patience and love. This man is the man who makes our family tick. So I guess it isn't really about his suit at all. It's just about him and the good man he is. It's about how he leads our family by following the Lord. And for that, I am truly grateful.




Comments

Audriana Payne said…
You are a great writer! This post was super cute! <3

Popular Posts