The Creek



When we first looked at this house, I have to admit, I had a few concerns. There wasn't a fence, and a busy street within walking distance. To say that I was a little worried when one of our neighbors casually mentioned a creek down the street would be an understatement. Since we had just unloaded the U-Haul truck I was pretty sure we were here to stay, and that we would just have to live with a creek.

I think it took one day for the kids to find it. When the girl across the street offered to take them I made sure to ask all the right questions. Is it deep? Is it little? Is is flowing? And the answers from her made me feel petty safe.

They left to the creek, and I thought they would be back in minutes. After a couple of hours I realized that I had no idea where the creek even was. Hmmm. I just sent my three little kids to a creek and I didn't know where. Now that is good parenting.

Thank heavens I saw Brooks on his way home. We threw the little kids in strollers and headed back. For those of you who have seen the creek, you can imagine my surprise when I walked back behind houses to a roaring river!!!

Ok, that may be a little over exaggerated, but still, it was huge.  But every time the girls would ask me to go there was just this little part of me that wanted to say "No! You'll drown!" However, there is a part of me that knew I loved the canal when I was little too. And we would sneak off without my mom knowing and play and swim and have a delightful time. I could have drowned. Maybe because I did crazy things when I was a kid is why being a parent is so hard. I know that kids do dumb things! But in the back of my mind I keep remembering somewhere I heard someone say, "What if the Wright Brothers mom had told them to always knock it off and quite, don't do that, you might get hurt."

It's a fine line we parents walk. Trying to keep our kids safe, and at the same time allowing them to become who they are and find out things on there own. Sometimes they might get hurt. Sometimes they just might discover something fantastic. Either way, we have to find a balance on this line we walk. And having them tugging on one side doesn't help one bit!

So for today, I am enjoying that the creek is empty and covered in snow. But all too soon, I will have to face this inner battle everyday. Keep them safe with me, or let them run and play, and do silly things, and just hope with all my fingers and toes crossed, that they make it back safe.

Comments

Popular Posts