Reading and Writing

   I remember when I was a little girl, there was sign on 17th Street that read, Office Plaza. It's on the left hand side of the road going toward Ammon, between our house and Grandma and Grandpa's house. I remember this sign because I can still remember how every time we passed it, I would read it as Off Ice. And it was thrilling to me because I was reading it. I don't know how long until I figured out the word was actually office, but I always looked for that sign. Loved it.
   And now, I get to see Regan learning to read. I think I can remember the excitement of new words. And slowly realizing that I could read signs, and words on commercials, and books, and labels. Do you remember that little bit of magic as the world slowly opened up and you could see new things by yourself without being told what it said? It was exciting! And now it's so common to read signs and labels and books that I hardly even notice the magic.
  It's fun to remember as I listen to Regan learn new words, and sound out the sounds to make a word. And see the little light in her eyes when she hears the letter sounds turn into words that she recognizes. When she says a word and then turns and looks at me with a look of accomplishment. I'm so loving this world of reading again, in a whole different way.


  After we were done with phonics today, I saw her paper and I just had to take a picture. She draws on everything. And it's never the same thing. She just makes me smile.

Comments

Popular Posts